I'm not lost. I'm taking the scenic route.

A lot of this is a love note to my wife but there will occasionally be a random thought thrown in every once in a while.

Monday, February 20, 2006

Food, You Are My Everything.

I got a comment the other day about a blog where I mentioned that I am an emotional eater. It s true. I eat when I am sad and I am sad because I eat. It's a vicious cycle. Chocolate is my food of choice. I do not really care about the form it comes in. It can be in milk, in ice cream, on ice cream, cake, brownies, cupcakes. What ever! Don't get me wrong, I have started to be more healthy about what I eat now that I am trying to loose weight so I will eat it with more health foods. You know. Things like cherries, blueberries, peanuts, raisins. Those are all healthy right?
My emotional eating started like everybody else's. When I would fall down and get hurt (apparently I was not graceful as a child) I would get a cookie or a piece of cake to stop crying and make me feel better. This turned into a gallon of ice cream and a bag of Oreo's when I got older.
If you think about it food is an expression of intense emotion. We eat when we are happy and sad. At a wedding there is a HUGE spread and one of the traditions is the bride and groom axchanging bites of cake and drinks of wine. Funerals are also packed with food. There is always a feast after someone gets buried. When someone is sick and in the hospital friends and family take prepared food over to the ones taking care of the ailing person. Food is an expression of love and caring! FOOD = Love! In fact food is usually at the center of all celebrations of love. What is the typical date? Dinner and a movie. Can you honestly see a movie with out eating before or after seeing a movie? I thought not. Food is such a part of falling in love that it is often heard at the beginning of exciting relationships that food looses its taste when that special someone is not around or they are so in love the cannot eat.
I think that is why many people are so freaked out about people with eating disorders. How can someone not like food? That smooth feeling of your teeth sinking into a chocolate bar or the way a piece of cherry pie is heavy on the end of your fork or the way the whipped creme melts off the side of hot pumpkin pie and the two flavors become one in your mouth. mmmmmmmm. Sorry, lost myself for a moment.
Food is sexy too. Who can forget the scene in front of the refridgerator in "9 and 1/2 Weeks?" Or even feeding your lover olives and feta while sipping wine on warm, from the dryer cotton sheets.
Food is many things. Party mate, consoler, lover and sustainer of life. Now say 'To Hell with the Diet' for at least one night and enjoy your passion for food!

1 Comments:

  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger NeverEnough said…

    When I saw the words olives, feta and wine I got so excited. Now I need to go to the grocery store...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Gateway Computer Coupons
Gateway Computer